Sunday, January 8, 2023

Are we in the midst of an Old School Reformation?

Although some still hold out hope (or cope) that OGL 1.1 will not render OGL 1.0a unusable, it's already causing a stir in the OSR scene. There's talk of abandoning the SRD and OGL entirely and moving to Creative Commons, because, as James Mishler says on his blog, "Even if they don't follow through now, there is no knowing if they might try to follow through later."

Chris Gonnerman, author of Basic Fantasy RPG, has announced his intention to remove SRD text from the game and work has already started.

Tenkar likewise announced his intent to de-SRD Continual Light.

James Mishler is bowing out the OGL business but hinted at Daniel Proctor looking at non-OGL avenues

As for myself, I'm finishing up a shoddy but playable product that been moldering on my hard drive for a couple of years. My OGL products until WOTC decides to C&D me or a viable system suitable for conversion presents itself. Regardless, I think we're in the midst of a watershed moment for the OSR.

No comments:

Post a Comment