Friday, August 26, 2016

The creative dilemma

Fair warning, this is going to be one of those weird introspective posts I occasionally do.

I'm sketching out an OSR/retroclone-y fantasy game. I'm using a bunch of mechanics that most people will probably dislike: Attribute checks replacing saving throws and skills. Having recently "discovered" THAC0 and realizing that it's a just a matrix, I want to throw something like that and descending AC in there too. I want to simplify weapon types so that there are only a dozen or so that cover everything an adventurer could ever find. Weird races like living crystals and boar-men. All characters being proficient with all weapons.

I would, of course, want to sell this. Maybe for $1 or so. But the more and more I begin to develop this, the more and more I think that no one would really want to buy this besides me. I'm thinking that it's a little too weird, too eclectic, too idiosyncratic with my own tastes.

I don't know. I just don't want to make something that only one person will ever use.

Enough of that then. I'll be back later with some new stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment